Thursday 15 October 2015

SIGNIFICANCE OF DRINK IN A CAN: My personal party experience










By Femi Akinpelu Joseph

It was on Tuesday 6th of October, 2015 at Surulere, Lagos. My aunty had just been delivered of a baby boy a week earlier, and now it was time for the naming ceremony and party. That particular day, I missed work because of the ceremony in the house; I had of course, taken permission from office before the day. This was necessary as I happened to be the only grown up person living with her (my aunty), aside the house -help. I needed to assist the family in various ways to put things in place and to have a properly arranged party setting.

Two days before this day (on Sunday the 4th), my aunt’s husband and I had driven to the nearest market to buy most of the things that were used for cooking and also other needfuls like serviette, cups, tooth-picks, bottled-drinks, and the (canned) drinks.

On the D-day, professional cooks landed in the house very early and began cooking from around 6 in the morning, together with some other (family) aunties who travelled down to celebrate with the family. I personally made arrangement for canopies from a rental shop nearby. At about 10a.m, the baby’s parents and few other family members left home for the child’s christening at the church. They returned in about two hours later. From now onward, visitors began to troop in to the house to say hello to the new born baby and say congratulations to the parents.

Before they left for the church event in the morning, my aunt’s husband had stocked the house with more bottled soft-drinks (about 6 crates), in addition to the canned drinks that we bought 2 days earlier, so there could be enough for everyone to drink. Then we decked the canned drinks in one container, the bottled drinks in a separate one and the bottles of water in another one.

And then the party started, first with the sharing of drinks to visitors.
I noticed that the first set of drinks that was requested for was the canned malt drink. Then I smiled. Afterwards, bottled water, canned soft-drink, and canned beer, just going on and on like that. Nobody would even show any interest in those innocent bottles that were lying down chilling in that drum. Funny enough, someone was later assigned to watch over “all” the drinks, but this person stood very closely only to the canned department, and the bottled section was left to take care of itself (OYO – On Your Own). In my mind, I was saying the former president Obasanjo’s quote “I dey laugh o”.

I was just moving around, from place to place, a very interesting experience that I had. To the people cooking, I would be like ‘eku ise o’ (in Yoruba), that is, welldone! Then I would hang around the drinks area for sometimes to see how events around there were unfolding. People just can’t stop patronizing the cans, but the bottled folks, no way!

No one touched the bottles until when uncle, (my brother in-law) asked that we took some of the bottles, along with some bottles of water to visitors sitting under the canopy. After a while later, I left the party scene, right into the room, balanced myself on the bed and continued with my reading, of a particular popular book (Purple Hibiscus) that I had just laid my hands on. I read for a while and went to eat, without drinks. I’m no fan of sugary drinks. The serving of food and drinks still went on. I checked the containers all round, the one canned drinks was already going lean, whereas the bottled one was still fat and swollen. Suitors were not forth coming. People were busy packing (the canned stuffs), both for themselves and loved ones, probably at home, or somewhere else.

At about 9pm in the evening, after lots of eating, drinking and some dancing, as expected, many people left. To conclude my observational work, I checked and I saw that the drinks in cans were left with only about 10, while the drinks in the bottles were still fully loaded, and it felt like it was only the cooks and other women around that had picked out of it.

That night, I quizzed a few people that I could talk to, on why people were only interested in canned drinks and refused to touch the bottled one; and they told me that culturally people perceive the canned drinks to give more respect when you take them, and it is also easy to carry round. Secondly, they said that in the event that someone wants to “take away” or “take home”, it is the canned drinks that does it right. But I asked myself, what is the significance of that can stuff? If you decide to take the ones in the bottle, would you still not have the same feeling of satisfaction? I’m just wondering.

This has been my observation about the disparity in interests that people show towards canned and bottled drinks for some time now, and I hope others would also come up with a more profound answer, as a basis for this unfair treatment being meted out to the drinks in the bottles.

It may interest the readers to know that over 3 crates of the bottled drinks still remained untouched many days after the event. On the other hand, no canned drink was left again after the next day.

      


No comments:

Post a Comment